Every summer, Pitt Clubs around the country host Freshman Send-Offs, ranging from backyard barbecues to baseball outings, to welcome the newest class of Panthers to the Pitt family! Send-Offs help connect incoming students and families to each other and alumni in the region.
HOSTING A PITT SEND-OFF EVENT
Pitt Send-Offs are events hosted by alumni clubs to welcome new students to the Pitt family. See the photo gallery from a few of last year’s events.
PLANNING A SEND-OFF EVENT
• Event Organizer: Feel free to ask other local alumni for help planning your event.
• Who: Incoming freshman, transfer students, and their family members; and current students and alumni from your area are welcome.
• When: Between mid-July to mid-August. Please avoid the 2018 “Pitt Start” dates when incoming students will be attending the new student orientations: July 9, 10, 12, 13, 16, 17, 23, and 24; August 20
SUBMIT YOUR EVENT PLAN
Choose your date, time, and location as soon as possible and submit your event information online by using the Club & Council Event Submission Form.
• Postcards will be sent to all students and their families.
• E-mails will be sent to students and alumni.
• PAA Web Page: A Student Send-Off event directory with a registration form will be listed on the PAA website at www.alumni.pitt.edu/students/pitt-sendoffs. Events will be posted as they are submitted.
EVENT SPIRIT BOX
Boxes, including event outline, sign-in sheets, photo release signs, decorations, giveaways, name tags, markers, and student and parent information, will be mailed to the host address one week in advance of event.
Display Photo Release Sign at the event check-in table.
Use the hashtag #pittsendoffs and send photos to our Social Media Manager at email@example.com!
• Per the University policies and procedures, the PAA will reimburse all hosts $100 per event plus $10 per registrant (students, family members, alums, and guests), up to $1,000.
• Receipts for expenses will be required for reimbursement.
• Each non-Pitt student guest will be charged $5.00 when they register online. Event volunteers do not need to collect any money from guests.
• Per University policy, tips of 20% or lower of the total bill will be reimbursed. Anything above that will not be reimbursed.
NOTE: We do not reimburse for alcohol or bartender service. Alcohol is not to be served at events where students are present and should not appear on receipts. If alcohol is listed, we cannot reimburse for that receipt.
The following documents are required to receive a reimbursement. Please submit by September 30th.
• Completed W-9 form
• Original itemized event receipts
○ Receipts must only contain items for the sendoff event, no personal items.
○ Receipts must show proof of payment, have a zero balance or say “paid.”
○ Receipts from restaurants must include the itemized and payment receipt with tip and total.
○ Please consolidate your purchases as much as possible.
• Sign-In Sheet to account for number of guests.
Reimbursements can take up to 4 weeks because they are processed through the University Payment Processing Office. If you have circumstances that place you in need of a quicker turnaround time, please contact your PAA Club & Affinity Council liaison. Timely and complete submission from the volunteer will provide for quicker turnaround times.
SUBMIT REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
• The W-9 Form, receipts, and sign-in sheet can be submitted through the online reimbursement form.
○ If you’re having trouble setting up your account or cannot access it, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
• Faxed to the PAA at 412-624-8288
• Mailed to the PAA at 140 Alumni Hall, 4227 Fifth Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15260.
If you are interested in donating the expenses for the event to the University as a ‘Gift in Kind,’ please contact your PAA Club & Affinity Council liaison.