University of Pittsburgh Announces Chancellor’s Global Advisory Council
Alumni group to provide strategic support for Pitt’s increasing international presence
Contact: Ariel Armony email@example.com | 412-648-7374
PITTSBURGH—University of Pittsburgh Chancellor Patrick Gallagher has announced the formation of the Chancellor’s Global Advisory Council (CGAC) in support of its global strategy.
Comprised of accomplished alumni from eight countries and multiple sectors of the global economy, the CGAC will advise the chancellor and academic and administrative leaders on research, education, and outreach activities.
In recent years, the University’s global presence has grown significantly, with the number of students from outside of the United States nearly doubling over the past decade to more than 3,100 students. With more than 100 research collaborations linking Pitt faculty with colleagues abroad and nearly 150 mobility agreements in 72 countries, the University’s international partnerships have advanced research on cybersecurity, sustainability, and human rights, among other areas.
“The University of Pittsburgh’s mission, at its core, is to expand the frontiers of knowledge while positively impacting the world,” said Gallagher, who will chair the CGAC. “I am thrilled to welcome such an exceptional group of global leaders to the table and excited to hear their ideas on how we can continue advancing Pitt’s mission on an international scale.”
The Council will meet twice annually, once in Pittsburgh and once at a global city of strategic importance. It will focus on three areas of importance to the University:
- Implementation of the University’s strategic objective to Embrace the World;
- Advocacy on behalf of the University in key geographic regions and programs of strategic priority; and
- Acquisition of resources in support of Pitt’s goals, including philanthropic, governmental, non-governmental organizations, and corporate.
Members of the CGAC include:
- Majdi B. Abulaban, Senior Vice President, Delphi; President, Delphi Electrical/Electronic Architecture (Troy, MI); and President, Delphi Asia (Shanghai, China)
- Adeola Adetunji, CEO, Mvoula Investment Group (Johannesburg, South Africa)
- Axel Dreher, COO, CFO, and Deputy CEO, Wolford AG (Bregenz, Austria)
- Laura E. Ellsworth, Esq. Partner-in-Charge, Global Community Service Initiatives, Jones Day (Pittsburgh)
- Jenifer E. Evans, Esq., Director, Villa Paradiso Pincinisco Ltd.
- Ira J. Gumberg, Chairman and CEO, J.J. Gumberg Co. (Pittsburgh)
- John E. Heller, CEO, PAE (Arlington, VA)
- Archana Hingorani, Ph.D. (Mumbai, India)
- Ohjoon Kwon, Ph.D., CEO, POSCO (Seoul, Republic of Korea)
- Terry Laughlin, Vice Chairman and Head of Global Wealth and Investment Management, Bank of America (New York)
- John Liu, CTO , GridSum (Beijing)
- William Magwood IV, Director-General, OECD-Nuclear Energy Agency (Boulogne-Billancourt, France)
- Abhishek Mehta, Founder & Principal, Blue Lotus Investments (New York / Mumbai, India)
- Larry J. Merlo, President and CEO, CVS Caremark Corp. (Woonsocket, RI)
- Frank Ning, Chairman, Sinochem Group (Beijing)
- Brenton L. Saunders, Chairman, President, and CEO, Allergan plc (Parsippany, NJ)
- Aditya Vikram Somani, Chairman, Everest Industries Ltd. (Mumbai, India)
- William (Bill) Stein, CEO, Digital Realty Trust (San Francisco)
- Marna C. Whittington, Ph.D., Retired CEO, Allianz Global Investors Capital (Yorklyn, DE)
The University of Pittsburgh will host the Council’s inaugural meeting in Pittsburgh in October 2017.